miércoles, 18 de febrero de 2015

I go back to 1937



I see them standing at the formal gates of their colleges,
I see my father strolling out
under the ochre sandstone arch, the   
red tiles glinting like bent
plates of blood behind his head, I
see my mother with a few light books at her hip
standing at the pillar made of tiny bricks,
the wrought-iron gate still open behind her, its
sword-tips aglow in the May air,
they are about to graduate, they are about to get married,   
they are kids, they are dumb, all they know is they are   
innocent, they would never hurt anybody.   
I want to go up to them and say Stop,   
don’t do it—she’s the wrong woman,   
he’s the wrong man, you are going to do things
you cannot imagine you would ever do,   
you are going to do bad things to children,
you are going to suffer in ways you have not heard of,
you are going to want to die. I want to go
up to them there in the late May sunlight and say it,
her hungry pretty face turning to me,   
her pitiful beautiful untouched body,
his arrogant handsome face turning to me,   
his pitiful beautiful untouched body,   
but I don’t do it. I want to live. I   
take them up like the male and female   
paper dolls and bang them together   
at the hips, like chips of flint, as if to   
strike sparks from them, I say
Do what you are going to do, and I will tell about it.
____________________________________________

VUELVO A 1937 – Sharon Olds -

Los veo de pie ante los portones de sus universidades.
Veo a mi padre saliendo bajo el arco de arena ocre,
las tejas rojas brillando como platos
doblados de sangre tras su cabeza.
Veo a mi madre con libros ligeros en su cadera,
de pie ante la columna de pequeños ladrillos
con los portones de hierro forjado, aún abiertos tras ella,
sus puntas de espada un brillo en un día de Mayo. 
Están a punto de graduarse. Están a punto de casarse.
Son niños. Son tontos. Sólo saben que son
inocentes y que jamás lastimarían a nadie.
Quiero ir y decirles que ¡quietos!, que no lo hagan.
Que ella es la mujer equivocada,
que él es el hombre equivocado. Que van a hacer cosas
que nunca se imaginarían haciendo.
Que le harán daño a los niños.
Que sufrirán de forma inimaginable.
Que desearán morirse. Quiero ir
y decírselo a la luz de Mayo.
Ella, su cara, hermosa y hambrienta se giraría hacia mi,
su cuerpo, hermoso y patético, intocado.
Él, su rostro, atractivo y arrogante se giraría hacia mi,
su cuerpo, hermoso y patético, intocado.
Pero no lo hago. Quiero vivir.
Los tomo como muñecos de papel,
y los froto uno contra el otro por las caderas como pedernal,
como si quisiera sacarles chispas. Y digo:
Haced lo que vayáis a hacer, que yo lo contaré.

Sharon Olds

No hay comentarios.:

Related Posts with Thumbnails